Announcements
Members, please post. Lurkers, please join. We want to hear you.

Donations
  • Buy some Old Elm Tree merchandise!

Sponsors

Another FL charter school closes, doesn't pay teachers.
09-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Another FL charter school closes, doesn't pay teachers.
Miramar charter school closes; teachers lose pay

Quote: After a history of academic and athletic failures — including a football scandal that prompted Florida’s largest-ever fine against a high school — Miramar’s Parkway Academy has been forced to close.

Teachers at the 517-student charter school were aware the end was coming, but what they hadn’t expected was this: As the doors shut, Parkway stiffed its teachers of their last month’s pay.

Parkway was founded in 2001 as a charter school with an automotive niche, with some students being trained for future careers as auto mechanics. Most of the school’s board members are in fact local car dealership owners, and Stupart said she reached out to the board president — Gary Feil of Ocean Cadillac — when it was announced teachers wouldn’t be paid.

Feil said “He had no idea what was going on,” Stupart said. “He said that he would do some investigation and get back to me.”

Gary Feil is not returning calls to the teachers or to the Miami Herald.

Teachers Of Closed Charter School Waiting For Last Pay Check

Quote:“I feel what they did was immoral and they are crooks,” teacher Daphny Lundi told CBS 4 News. Lundi taught at Parkway Academy for five years.

Another teacher, who asked us not to use her name, told CBS4’s Joan Murray that the writing was on the wall.

“I never had the right tools,” said the teacher. “When I asked for books they told me it wasn’t in the budget.”

Now teachers say there needs to be an investigation into the finances at the school. Teachers say they have reached out and have been unable to contact the former executive director Clarissa Wright.

It's scary that schools like this are being given free rein all around the country. This is misuse of public money to the point of actually being fraudulent.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2012, 07:24 PM
RE: Another FL charter school closes, doesn't pay teachers.
I believe not paying people for work done is illegal.
09-14-2012, 10:20 PM
RE: Another FL charter school closes, doesn't pay teachers.
(09-14-2012 07:24 PM)cornermouse Wrote:  I believe not paying people for work done is illegal.

Illegal doesn't matter if you are an education "reformer". Unfortunately.

Sponsors