Announcements
Please help to keep OET up and running!

Donations
  • Buy some Old Elm Tree merchandise!

Sponsors

Could Tom Barrett lose to Scott Walker?
06-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Could Tom Barrett lose to Scott Walker?
Living in Kansas, apart for requests for campaign donations, I have not been exposed too much of the campaign. And what little I have been exposed to are little better than roomers that one probably should not put much stock in.

But given how the campaign against Scott Walker appears to be waning, and polling data is even suggesting that he might win, there might be something too those roomers.

And then they role out Bill Clinton, the big dog himself, and suddenly I can no longer ignore those roomers. The DLC’s incompetence and arrogance may be at work here.

What I understand is that Barrett already lost to Walker before by betraying the unions the fist time around. And from what I hear, Barrett is repeating his mistake by focusing more on jobs and the state budget and downplaying the restoration of union bargaining right.

In my opinion, this is a mistake. Walker is running on a campaign about what is good for the State of Wisconsin, issues such as balancing its budget, encouraging growth, and making the state competitive. Barrett is attempting to challenge on those points that what he is doing is not good for the state. But this argument is going to be a battle of minutia, with lots of statistics and economic theory. This is going to be a very problematic position for Barrett as he is also a defender of free markets and operates from much the same theory as Walker. He has stated in the past that the unions still need to give up many of there benefits in order to balance the state budget, only that he wants to do it by bargaining with the unions.

Instead, Barrett should be focusing more on the people them selves. Focus more on the people that Walker has directly harmed because of his policies or the criminals and slimy industry that he has helped. He needs to tap into the energy of the demonstrations and the many battles to oppose Walker’s destructive agenda.

Barrett also has an up hill battle. Walker has a national organization behind him, latterly showering him with resources from all over the field; money, expertise, cheap media, star power. While Barrett has very little by way of resources to work with, and the DLC has been keeping a notable distance. Obama is MIA.

And Barrett to some extent is running head long into Obama’s legacy, which has directly strengthened and emboldened neo-conservatives across the country, who are now more motivated than ever before. Even while Obama himself has beaten down his own base, making it nearly impossible for Barrett to turn out his base.

Is Barrett going to lose to Walker?

Well, given the media is already carving out Barrett’s head stone, I am incline to think that his chances are no where near as bad as they are trying to make it out to be. There is no way I can trust the data I am seeing, and Barrett could just as easily win by a land slide. But the roomers say that Barrett is just a kinder gentler form of Walkers anti-union policies.

If he dose lose however, it will not be because of any political prowess on Walker’s part.

But nor will there be a single weak link on Barrett’s side that we can point to for blame. A weak and minutia loaded campaign will bear some of the responsibility to be sure. But the DLC has spent so little time and money maintaining its party infrastructure that Barrett would have a difficult time regardless of what campaign strategy he chooses to use. And when the DLC continues to be so totally oblivious of these kinds of historic battles, they may as well be the one’s holding the chisel for the media’s tombstone for Barrett.

Taking on the myths of the free market
http://www.youtube.com/user/CodeNameDoug
__/\/\__
(_¬ ¬)
\__\/__/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2012, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2012 12:05 PM by jest.)
RE: Could Tom Barrett lose to Scott Walker?
You know what this reminds me of?

Al Gore in 2000.

He had the wind at his back & a roaring economy, but there was no real difference between him and Bush. That campaign disaster was also orchestrated by the DLC. Both of these guys have nothing but contempt for progressive values, and it shows, which is why progressives will leave them out in the cold when the time comes.

This time, they won't have any scapegoats for their fuck ups, and things are gonna get pretty ugly.

It's like they learned absolutely nothing from 2010.

idiots

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies. © Groucho Marx.
Find all posts by this user
06-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Kicking.
06-03-2012, 02:15 PM
We already know what’s going to happen if Barrett loses; the DLC will say he wasn’t “centrist” enough. If he wins, the DLC will hale it as a triumph of centrism.

Taking on the myths of the free market
http://www.youtube.com/user/CodeNameDoug
__/\/\__
(_¬ ¬)
\__\/__/
06-03-2012, 03:06 PM
I just hope it doesn't come down to Waukesha county. Kathy Nicklaus should be barred from the office on election day, and arrested on site if she attempts to take any computers home with her that day.
06-03-2012, 07:48 PM
For what I've seen, he is going to lose. The Democratic Party - or whatever that is supposed to be nowadays - should have been all over this and used it as a golden opportunity to smack back at Republicans. Instead, they've waited until the Eleventh hour to show some interest. Disgraceful.

Even if we could turn back, we'd probably never end up where we started.

Haruki Murakami
06-03-2012, 08:20 PM
(06-03-2012 10:53 AM)Code Name D Wrote:  Living in Kansas, apart for requests for campaign donations, I have not been exposed too much of the campaign. And what little I have been exposed to are little better than roomers that one probably should not put much stock in.

But given how the campaign against Scott Walker appears to be waning, and polling data is even suggesting that he might win, there might be something too those roomers.

And then they role out Bill Clinton, the big dog himself, and suddenly I can no longer ignore those roomers. The DLC’s incompetence and arrogance may be at work here.

What I understand is that Barrett already lost to Walker before by betraying the unions the fist time around. And from what I hear, Barrett is repeating his mistake by focusing more on jobs and the state budget and downplaying the restoration of union bargaining right.

In my opinion, this is a mistake. Walker is running on a campaign about what is good for the State of Wisconsin, issues such as balancing its budget, encouraging growth, and making the state competitive. Barrett is attempting to challenge on those points that what he is doing is not good for the state. But this argument is going to be a battle of minutia, with lots of statistics and economic theory. This is going to be a very problematic position for Barrett as he is also a defender of free markets and operates from much the same theory as Walker. He has stated in the past that the unions still need to give up many of there benefits in order to balance the state budget, only that he wants to do it by bargaining with the unions.

Instead, Barrett should be focusing more on the people them selves. Focus more on the people that Walker has directly harmed because of his policies or the criminals and slimy industry that he has helped. He needs to tap into the energy of the demonstrations and the many battles to oppose Walker’s destructive agenda.

Barrett also has an up hill battle. Walker has a national organization behind him, latterly showering him with resources from all over the field; money, expertise, cheap media, star power. While Barrett has very little by way of resources to work with, and the DLC has been keeping a notable distance. Obama is MIA.

And Barrett to some extent is running head long into Obama’s legacy, which has directly strengthened and emboldened neo-conservatives across the country, who are now more motivated than ever before. Even while Obama himself has beaten down his own base, making it nearly impossible for Barrett to turn out his base.

Is Barrett going to lose to Walker?

Well, given the media is already carving out Barrett’s head stone, I am incline to think that his chances are no where near as bad as they are trying to make it out to be. There is no way I can trust the data I am seeing, and Barrett could just as easily win by a land slide. But the roomers say that Barrett is just a kinder gentler form of Walkers anti-union policies.

If he dose lose however, it will not be because of any political prowess on Walker’s part.

But nor will there be a single weak link on Barrett’s side that we can point to for blame. A weak and minutia loaded campaign will bear some of the responsibility to be sure. But the DLC has spent so little time and money maintaining its party infrastructure that Barrett would have a difficult time regardless of what campaign strategy he chooses to use. And when the DLC continues to be so totally oblivious of these kinds of historic battles, they may as well be the one’s holding the chisel for the media’s tombstone for Barrett.

I think Barrett could pull it out, but no thanks to the Democrats. All the DNC is interested in is the general election. Union rights don't rate high to them.
06-03-2012, 08:24 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2012 08:24 PM by Bryn.)
(06-03-2012 12:04 PM)jest Wrote:  You know what this reminds me of?

Al Gore in 2000.

He had the wind at his back & a roaring economy, but there was no real difference between him and Bush. That campaign disaster was also orchestrated by the DLC. Both of these guys have nothing but contempt for progressive values, and it shows, which is why progressives will leave them out in the cold when the time comes.

This time, they won't have any scapegoats for their fuck ups, and things are gonna get pretty ugly.

It's like they learned absolutely nothing from 2010.

idiots

I think Gore would not have taken us to wars. 9/11 probably would have been stopped. I think he would not have given the rich tax cut. Wish I could look into a big crystal ball to see what would have happened had Bush not been our president. But then I remember what Clinton did .... NAFTA. Welfare reform, repeal Glass-Steagall Act, etc. and Gore was his VP! The Democratic Party of FDR is no more.
06-03-2012, 08:56 PM
There is no "DLC," by the way, any longer. It has been renamed the Third Way, but quite honestly neoliberalism is a much bigger problem in this country to be consigned to a think tank outfit. BOTH political parties are in bed with neoliberal interests so that now there isn't a dime's worth of difference between the two major parties.

This ideology will be the ruination of the United States. Look no further than the war against public education, especially by Democrats.

As for Walker, if he prevails, it's because the neolibs in the Democratic Party want it that way.

"You lie down with pigs, you come up smellin' like garbage."--Tony Bennett, "The Oscar" (1966)
06-03-2012, 09:19 PM
(06-03-2012 08:56 PM)tonysam Wrote:  There is no "DLC," by the way, any longer. It has been renamed the Third Way, but quite honestly neoliberalism is a much bigger problem in this country to be consigned to a think tank outfit. BOTH political parties are in bed with neoliberal interests so that now there isn't a dime's worth of difference between the two major parties.

This ideology will be the ruination of the United States. Look no further than the war against public education, especially by Democrats.

As for Walker, if he prevails, it's because the neolibs in the Democratic Party want it that way.

And that, folks, is the bottom line. If Walker remains in office, it's because the Democrats want him in office. How do you like it now?

Even if we could turn back, we'd probably never end up where we started.

Haruki Murakami

Sponsors