Announcements
Requesting your help! No money involved! Please read here. (Link fixed.)

Donations
  • Buy some Old Elm Tree merchandise!

Sponsors

Sugar in dill pickles?
08-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Sugar in dill pickles?
I'm looking for a recipe for kosher type dill pickles. I was especially interested in the freezer pickles, but they all seem to have sugar in them. I absolutely hate bread and butter pickles, I can't even stand the smell of them. So, I am very worried about putting sugar into a dill pickle recipe. Any one know why they put sugar in?

Z

zalinda (aka: SiteGoddess)Intelligent conversation stops when name calling, insults or threats begin .....SiteGoddess
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2011, 06:32 PM
RE: Sugar in dill pickles?
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1836,151...05,00.html

This recipe doesn't have sugar in it - I love bread & butter pickles, my grandmother made them - my granddad grew cucumbers in his backyard. I remember when she died (I was living in New Orleans then) and I had a half a jar of her bread & butter pickles - I savored them until the jar ran out ... I miss my grandma.

"But when we crave power over life-endless wealth, unassailable safety, immortality-then desire becomes greed. And if knowledge allies itself to that greed, then comes evil. Then the balance of the world is swayed, until ruin weighs heavy in the scale." Ursula K. LeGuin, The Farthest Shore
08-30-2011, 06:38 PM
(08-30-2011 03:55 PM)zalinda Wrote:  I'm looking for a recipe for kosher type dill pickles. I was especially interested in the freezer pickles, but they all seem to have sugar in them. I absolutely hate bread and butter pickles, I can't even stand the smell of them. So, I am very worried about putting sugar into a dill pickle recipe. Any one know why they put sugar in?

Z

These are not freezer pickles, but this is the recipe from Joy of Cooking, 1964 -- of course safety standards have gone up since then, so I guess the recipe should be considered merely guidelines:

Dill or Kosher Dill Pickles
About 7 Pints
This dill pickle-making procedure differs from that for long-brined pickles. The brine is weaker and the curing more rapid; but the pickles do not keep as well, especially if home-processed. We suggest using a heated brine. Garlic, like all members of the onion family, is very susceptible to bacterial activity, so be sure to remove the garlic cloves before sealing the jars.

Wash thoroughly and cut in half lengthwise:
4 lbs cucumbers
Combine and heat to the boiling point:
3 cups white vinegar
3 cups water
1/3 cup salt
If you want Kosher Dills, add:
12 peeled sliced garlic cloves
When the boiling point is reached, --> remove the garlic cloves. Pack the cucumbers into hot sterile jars. Add to each jar:
2 tablespoons dill seed
3 peppercorns
Fill the jars to within 1/2 inch of the top with the hot pickling liquid. Immediately adjust the lids. Seal and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
08-30-2011, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2011 08:27 PM by Hawkeye-X.)
My folks just started pickling their own. They use rye bread to sour them..

LOVE IT!!!!!

Best pickles I've ever tasted.

(They stored it in a disused sink near the washer, covered in the darkness.)

Sooooo good!
08-31-2011, 01:11 AM
(08-30-2011 08:26 PM)Hawkeye-X Wrote:  My folks just started pickling their own. They use rye bread to sour them..

LOVE IT!!!!!

Best pickles I've ever tasted.

(They stored it in a disused sink near the washer, covered in the darkness.)

Sooooo good!

Can you get the recipe? I love a good pickle!
08-31-2011, 01:25 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2011 01:30 AM by tango-tee.)
(08-30-2011 03:55 PM)zalinda Wrote:  I'm looking for a recipe for kosher type dill pickles. I was especially interested in the freezer pickles, but they all seem to have sugar in them. I absolutely hate bread and butter pickles, I can't even stand the smell of them. So, I am very worried about putting sugar into a dill pickle recipe. Any one know why they put sugar in?

Z

Sorry, z, I don't have a recipe for you but as I learned to cook one of the mainstays of what I was taught was that whenever there's vinegar, there's got to be some sugar as well. It's the proportion that makes the difference, and it may take a try or two to get the brine to your liking. Start out with a really small batch to see what you may need more of or less of. I'm a big fan of salt pickles, and my grandma's bread-and-butter pickles. Oh, they were good.

I wouldn't worry about adding a small amount of sugar to the dill pickle brine if the recipe calls for it. When I make salad dressing, just the plain old oil and cider vinegar kind with a small amount of mustard, salt and pepper, I always add a pinch of sugar. It brings the flavors together very well.

Sponsors